Rules and Guidelines
The Heck Epic is all about traveling light and self-sufficiently. Here are some basic rules:
- All riders are required to sleep outside in Grand Marais. Tents, bivy sacks, hammocks, are all acceptable forms of shelter for the event. A rider MUST have some form of shelter and warm layer to sleep in. (IF weather becomes dangerous during the race night, safer options for cover will be allowed encouraged!)
- All participants will be required to carry on their bikes what they need to sleep outside while in Grand Marais on Saturday night.
- All riders must follow the same route as designated by the gpx and cue cards. No exceptions (unless for drop out/scratch/emergency navigating)
- No resupply bags will be transported. Pack what you need for daytime nourishment, water transport, tools and clothing options.
- Options for water and nourishment along the routes will be made known on the navigation cards/file.
- The Heck Epic will provide an aid station along the route(s) as necessary due to the remote nature of this event. This information will be provided closer to the start date of the event.
- We will offer discounted dinner coupons for area restaurants on Saturday night.
- A breakfast buffet will be provided on Sunday morning at our camping location in Grand Marais.
- ALL riders will be expected to be great citizens of cycling, LEAVE NO TRACE, and be friendly to volunteers and those they may meet along the way. Have fun!
No other support will be allowed during the day except by your fellow riders. Do not count on a pick up from Heck Epic volunteers if you break down. Have a solid backup plan ready. This is the Heck Epic. Prepare!